Wednesday 22 August 2012

Choosing the right gynae...

... can bring you peace and joy so that you can fully enjoy being pregnant while knowing that you're being cared for by the right person.


----------------------------

This post came about because as you all already know, I have had a tough week 9 - week 13 of my pregnancy. I have been in and out of the hospital sometimes 2x a week and been hospitalised twice for the 'unexplained heavy bleeding'.

When I got pregnant and went to see Dr Sadhana, I was told since she does not do deliveries, she will recommend me to see her other colleague who does, Dr Matthew Lau. Now, before I proceed, please note that I am not condemning anyone in this post or saying anyone is incompetent. So I started my follow ups with Dr Lau. During the week 9 of my pregnancy, I started spotting followed by heavy bleeding which soaked through my panties. Of course the first few times it happened, I was pretty sure I was going to lose my babies. Doctors at KKH also termed this as threatened miscarriage. It was an emotional roller coaster for me those weeks and I prayed often, remembering God's promises to me. There will be no loss. My babies are warriors of God and will be a testament that God is all together mighty and powerful and that nothing can stand in His way if this is His will to give me these 2 wonderful miracles. I wished I had followed my heart's instinct and insisted a little more forcibly to my husband when I felt I should seek a second opinion. But R said we should continue with KKH because they already have my records and medical history so trying to be obedient, I listened.

It got to the point where I saw the huge blood clots I was passing out one visit to the hospital that made me absolutely resolute to see another doctor. I prayed asking God for wisdom in choosing one and then logged on to google. I came across a number of posts about Prof Biswas from NUH so I wasted no time in calling them to fix an appointment. I was due to see them on the 18th August. On the morning of that Saturday, we sent Bella over to my parent's place and then headed to NUH. We were being registered fairly quickly and the waiting time was about half an hour. It's a lot shorter than KKH and I liked the surroundings plus I had a nice sofa seat so I was comfortable. When it was my turn, we went in to a doc who looks very assuring and knowledgeable. I started off by telling him about my ivf and current situation and he immediately told us we could narrow the problem to 2 main causes. One is if the bleeding occurs outside the cervix, it can be solved very easily. The other is, if the bleeding don't come from outside the cervix, means it most likely came from the placenta, which to him, is more worrying. He then told us he will do an internal examination to access if there is any possible factors causing this bleeding. Note that I have not told him about the polyp found during the last visit to KKH. He inserted that awful thingy and opened me up and peered between my legs. OK, I know it's a lot of info, but I am sure some of you are reading this because you are preggy or going to be preggy and hence wanna know more. So I shall not hide gory details lest you think pregnancy is all ponies and unicorns. He peered in and saw the polyp and said that although it's small, it might be the cause of the bleeding. I didn't believe him at first, until he started to swab the polyp with gauze and each time he took them out, it will be soaked with blood. Imagine this was just from swiping at the polyp area. Prof Biswas then went on to explain that the polyp is a vestibular polyp so it's kind of linked to the blood vessels, hence each time it's irritated, it bleeds a fair bit. And if the blood does not come out, then it will coagulate and clot inside me, so of course I will be passing out clots!

He then continued to remove the polyp which was quick and painless but not comfortable. He also mentioned that there will be some slight bleeding for the next few days after the bleeding and he was right too. I'm still spotting a little here and there, but at least the blood is those brownish blood which I presume are old blood. I felt super at ease with this doctor and learnt more about my babies in one consultation than all the previous ones I have been to in KKH. He addressed my problems without mincing his words and likes to focus on the now and asked me not to think too far ahead. One problem at a time. Bottom line is, I like this doctor and I think he is assuring and knowledgeable. I will be seeing him again this coming Monday for a follow up and then update you guys again.

Onto happier stuff, there will be a couple of baby sales in Oct! Yay! This means shopping for all of us!!

Going to stop here. Hungry liao.

xoxo,

J.

1 comment:

  1. Just wanted to share that as of 2018, NUH O&G (private patient) standard has dropped drastically. Mainly due to long queues (which mean longer waiting time), amidst other reasons. As such I am considering to transfer to KKH TPS.

    Can check out my full experience thus far here: https://livingthesglife.blogspot.sg/2018/03/164-weeks-pregnant-experience-at-nuh-o.html

    ReplyDelete