Friday 25 May 2012

Why IVF?

So I am now sitting in the KKHIVF centre waiting for my scan like what I've been doing for the past week. Today is 25th May, Friday, exactly 7 days from when I first begun my daily injections. I'm bored to tears waiting for my turn when I suddenly thought, "I could create a blog and blog about what I'm going through, the uglies and the niceies!" Therefore here we are, J's blog on her ivf journey.

My name is J. I'm 28 years old and happily married for 4 years almost reaching 5. I have a wonderful husband, R. He's a year older than me and is eveything a girl can ask for. While he may not be the hottest man around town, he is definetely the most patient and loving husband one could get. We have a lab retreiver pup, Bella. She is our first furkid and we love her to bits. I got Bella after an early miscarriage but that's another story altogether. Bella is the best thing to happen to us but right now, being greedy people, we want a real, proper kid for ourseleves. From day 1 of our marriage, we have always told ourselves that we will try naturally, without any contraceptives and if God permits, we will be blessed with a child. However, 1,2,3,4 years have past and we are still childless. Last month we decided to be a little more aggressive in our baby making and went for IUI. Needless to say, we disn't make it and we were back to square 1. Being pregnant, not. Our doctor immediately arranged for us to start IVF. We had always thought we needed to be put on some waiting list and most likely will have to wait 3 months before we were able to start. Imagine our shock when the doctor informed us we can start this coming cycle! So after AF came on Day 1, I called KKIVF and was asked to go down on Day 3 of my period. I went down as instructed on Day 3 and we went for the necessary briefing of how to inject oneself and what to do blah blah. I was put on 133.3 iu of Puregon for my cycle as Dr S was afraid I will get OHSS. I have PCOS. So it makes OHSS a real possibility for people like me. In the last scan, I have 6 major follicles for measurement. It ranged from 6-10mm. I'm praying for more follicles and a better reading today. Am going to stop here for a while as it's my turn next.

-------------------------------


Woot! Scan is over. I have about 6 nice follicles on right side and 3-4 nice ones on the left side. My eggs are growing quite nicely and I'm quite pleased with the results. During the last scan, I only had 6 major leading follicles. But I told myself, I'm not going to worry and think about it because I know my Daddy God is there to make things right for me. Some ladies in the forum have reported grouchiness, depression and all that. But the truth is, although I may feel a little cranky when it's warm, I feel pretty damn good about this whole thing most of the time! So now I will be waiting to be reviewed by the doctor. In the meantime, I'll just share something else with you.

Bella is in heat! This is her first cycle and poor baby will have to go through surgery to spay her once she finishes her period. She did dribble abit of blood here and there and I will be heading to the pet shop to get her some diapers or whatchamacallit. It's be fun as it's my first time buying diapers! Hahah. Cheap thrill.

Ok back to the IVF. In terms of diet wise, I have been pretty much eating the same stuff, except with more veges and fruits. I totally cut away KFC from my diet but allow myself to have Mac breakfast on the days I need to come for scans. Hahah. I heard of ladies eating loads of eggwhites. I probably might start doing it after the embryo retrieval as I heard it helps in the cramps which I don't have! I have to admit, I feel sleepy quite often now and I hope this goes away soon. On alternate days I do take chicken essence and Longan Red Date tea to warm my womb. Hopefully this helps in the implantation. Everyday I also take holy communion and acknowledge my Daddy God's love for me and His promises to me. "There will be no loss, be fruitful, go forth and multiply." I also feel awfully thirsty all the time and feel a need to drink water as much as I can but I rather drink up than have OHSS. I promise that I will log in and write everyday so for anyone who will be doing IVF can use my blog as a reference or guide or just read for pure entertainment. Shall put up this first post for now.

More of such posts to come!

xoxo, J.

3 comments:

  1. hello! just came across ur blog...i'm also diagnosed with pcos which made ttc difficult...did the doc ask to lose weight? im on the bigger side...hence more difficult to get preggy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ash,
    Thanks for being a reader of my blog. Yes, I am on the bigger side when I started ttcing. Part of the weight gain was due to lack of exercise and the fertility medications. Doc asked to lose 10% of my weight to increase chances of ovulation and getting preg. But it's tough becoz pcos is also a condition that makes losing weight difficult too. I took metformin, because it seems to help ppl like us to ovulate. I complimented it with Clomid but still didn't conceive. To be fair, I did try to lose some weight, but it really didnt help me. If you want me to share more, you can email me at sheisemailing@gmail.com. I dun mind sharing more. :)

    ReplyDelete