Tuesday 10 February 2015

Musings of a momprenuer in the year 2015.




It's 2015 and we are already in February and approaching CNY. Time sure flies when you have so many things going on in your life. If you don't already know who I am, I am Jen, a mom to a pair of boy girl twins conceived via IVF. If you are going through IVF or am considering IVF, do go all the way back to my previous posts and read through to get an idea of what to expect. I also am a business owner and I operate My Pixie Baby - www.mypixiebaby.com and we primarily sell baby essentials and Mustela products. I also am teaching in a student care centre and that occupies about half my day. Sometimes with so much on my plate, it makes me wonder where I got my energy from. I guess I am one of those people who just take things as it come, try not to think about it and just get through it as much as I can. I consider myself more successful compared to others not in the monetary sense, but experiences wise.

I was reading through a fellow childhood friend's blog and was so inspired by her drive and passions to succeed. She too, has a very successful online business and has travelled to many parts of the world. This year, I hope to be more like her, and be less lazy and aim to lead a healthier and an even more fulfilling life. (As I am typing this, I am almost passing out from the effects of the cough mixture I downed earlier so pardon my incoherent sentences)

I just wanted to get this out before I sit on it for far too long and forget all about it. So anyway, I wanted to blog about my experiences as an entrepreneur and how I hope I can inspire other moms to take the plunge and be like me!

These are the 3 things that truly define me as a Momprenuer.

1. Being able to admit your past failures.

I never liked looking back at what went wrong. I knew that if I sat myself down and started to be really critical with myself, I will probably have a looong list of what should have been done or what should have not. I knew that I would probably hate myself after that but still, I went ahead and accessed myself. I was harsh and focused on what I could have done better. I insisted to dig deep and tried to understand what I was weak in and asked for help in those areas. This self assessment helped me to see my faults and humbled me to ask for help when needed. I now understand that there are some things you just cannot do it by yourself. Hah..

2. Knowing when to let go.

Learning to let go is a skill that I am still trying to master. Sometimes I find it hard to let go of my ideas or the way to get a certain thing done. I often kill myself in the process of getting there and not all the times is it worth for me to try even. I have slowly learnt to be less stubborn, listen and discern more. Learning to let go also means letting go of toxic people in your life. They may be friends or colleagues who always bring you down and make you feel shitty about yourself or do things that makes you doubt your self worth. These people are worth clearing out periodically because you need to be only filling up your life with the people who truly matter.

3. Being able to laugh at yourself and then move on.

Before My Pixie Baby, I had GlamzPixie. I started this out with my sister selling women's accessories and branded bags online and at flea markets. I realised that what I thought looked good and nice might not be the same for others. Although it wasn't a successful business venture, I was lucky that I learnt many valuable lessons from it. It is through this that I am even more determined to make My Pixie Baby work. I don't dwell too much about the fact that I might not have even gotten back my capital. I just chin up, look ahead and move on, this time a lot more careful with how I run my business.

4. Knowing that being a Momprenuer means I do sacrifice personal time for myself and it's not really a bed of roses.

Whenever people hear that I do have a business, their reaction is that I wake up late, work for 3 hours and slack the whole day while waiting for orders to come in and money to drop from the sky. I hope that I can achieve that one day, but for now, this isn't the reality for me. I have to work late at nights because I want to spend time with the kids while they are awake. This means that if I am packing orders or updating my stock inventory, I will have to be doing it after 10pm and sometimes this stretches to after 12 midnight. I also have to wake up early at around 7 plus in the morning to continue where I have left off and then, prepare and hug the kids for school then go to work. It is PURE.HARD.WORK and I don't get it easy. I don't have as much time as I used to to meet my girlfriends for an after work dinner and drinks. Weekends are spent cramping as much play time and errands with the kids then work again late into the night. It is really not easy and not everyone is able to have the discipline to live this way.

This year, I aim to expand my business and keep myself healthy so that I can have the energy to keep up with everything. I hope this inspires you to find out what you love and take the plunge to achieving your dreams.


Follow us on FB at https://www.facebook.com/mypixiebabyjen for more updates!

1 comment:

  1. If you are looking for cute baby girl dresses Singapore then visit Little Kooma. The store offers wide range of stylish clothes for your baby.

    ReplyDelete